Each year, we invite submissions of original, published books of fiction (all genres), nonfiction, poetry, and children’s and young adult literature. These may be submitted by authors, illustrators, or other publishing professionals. We encourage submissions by individuals from diverse backgrounds, including race and ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation, class, and/or abilities.
Submissions are now closed for the 2018 Festival. Please check back in June 2018 for details about the 2019 Festival.
- Deadline: October 1, 2017.
- Online Applications: Only online applications are accepted.
- Agents and Representatives: Agents and author representatives are encouraged to submit if they have the authors’ consent. Please let the authors know that their names have been submitted for consideration.
- Priorities: Preference is given to books released either in hardback or paperback in 2017 and up to March 20, 2018. Books must be available for sale by March 20, 2018 in order to be considered for the 2018 Festival. E-books will not be considered.
- Book or ARC submissions: An application is not complete until we have received two copies of the book or advanced reader’s copy [ARC]. Digital ARCs cannot be accepted. If it will not be available until after the October 1 deadline, please note that in the Comments box and let us know when it will be available. Books or ARCs not available by November 1 cannot be considered. We cannot return books. Submissions not accepted for inclusion in the Festival will be donated to the local library.
- Multiple submissions: If you wish to submit more than one title for an author, please provide details about the second title in the comments field. Please do not submit multiple forms for the same author, even if the books are in different genres and published by different publishers. Provide the necessary details in comments.
- Co-authors: If both authors wish to participate, please submit a form for each author, including separate bios and photos.
- Series authors: Please submit the title of the newest book in a series as of March 2018.
- Book sales: The Festival arranges ALL book sales, working with local bookstores and booksellers; they arrange ordering books. (Upon occasion, authors will need to provide their own books, and we will notify individual authors when that is necessary.)
- Self-published: Authors with self-published books may submit work if 1) the book has a professional editor; and, 2) the book is available to booksellers with standard discount terms and returnable.
- Festival structure: Most Festival programs offer panels with two to four participants and a moderator. Festival organizers select the panelists and assign the venues. Book sales and signing immediately follow and are held in the same venue. See the type of programming offered in 2017 by clicking here and searching the drop-down menu for topics or genres.
- A/V requests: Please note that we discourage the use of audio or video components in Festival programs, which tend to be multi-person panel discussions. Our hope is that speakers will engage in more meaningful and in-depth exchanges without these distractions. However, if you feel that A/V is critical to your work, you must email firstname.lastname@example.org a request with details about 1) your specific technical needs and 2) what A/V will contribute to your program.
- Publicity and promotion: Participants and their books are promoted widely through the Festival website and printed materials; in regional and national media; and in blogs, podcasts, social media, and networking sites. The Festival will provide participants with a promotional toolkit, including press release, Festival facts sheet, and logos.
- Previous years’ applications: Previous participants must reapply each year. In order to encourage diversity of Festival offerings, preference is given to authors who did not participate in the prior year’s Festival. It is Festival policy to not repeat a book that has already been featured in the Festival.
- Travel and fees: Most authors are asked to assume some or all of the costs of participation, including travel and lodging. There is no submission fee to apply to the Festival.
- Decisions: Application notifications will be provided by January 15, 2018.
- Information requested: You may wish to gather the following information for the online application: author’s contact information, photo, and forty-word bio; author’s website, Twitter, and Facebook links; publicist’s contact information; and whether the author is willing to do school presentations or to moderate a Festival panel.
- Questions? Please contact Festival staff at email@example.com